Photobucket
Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" />" />

Welcome

Welcome to my little corner of the world. I am so honored by your visit today. My name is Kristi and I am married to my college sweetheart(I refer to him here as "Mr. Incredible"), momma to my 2 beautiful girls who are growing much too quickly, a high school computer teacher, photographer, and a gardener (at times~right now I'm growing weeds). I love to laugh, drink strong Starbucks coffee, take pictures, and be anywhere my family is. Jesus is my Savior and I try so hard to be the wife and momma that He has called me to be. I often fail but He lovingly picks me up, dusts me off, and encourages me that with Him all things are possible. Feel free to join me on this journey of faith, stop in and say hello, look around, and leave a comment~I love comments. Why "Kiki's Corner?" My nephews call me Aunt Kiki and I love that too.

With God All Things are possible-My Reflections on Rachel's Surgery

"Nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)

We absolutely asked God for the moon and back for our daughter and He blessed and blessed and continues to bless. We are absolutely overjoyed at the work of His hands...and my heart will continue to rejoice in the God of my Salvation who did what only He could do! (If you don't know Rachel's Story, please click on the top tab that says Rachel's Story which explains our 16 year old daughter's sudden diagnosis with Arnold Chiari I, where she suffered every single day for an entire year with excruciating migrain headaches, and where God's grace and mercy were so very evident~there is no god like our God!).

I've tried to write this post it seems a thousand times. Every time, my words pale in comparison to the work that God has done. How can I possibly put into words all that He has done for us? I have tears streaming down my face and I can hardly see the words in front of me on my computer screen as I try to share with you glimpses of this past week.

Before I begin, I have to tell you that I have loved the Lord for as long as I can remember. I accepted Jesus into my heart a week before my 7th birthday, 33 years ago, and He and I have shared many, many things...but this experience with Him...well I just can't hardly put it into words....this, my friends, has been the most intimate, incredible, terrifying but still joy-filled time with Him. Oh, HE WAS THERE with us! He was so evident! I felt Him in every room that we were in. He absolutely held us in the very palm of His hand and we were never out of His sight...even for one second (Isaiah 49:16).

We felt all of you there with us too. We knew from texts back and forth between Rachel and her friends on the eve of her surgery, that teachers and students would be gathering to pray for her at the exact time of her surgery. We knew of faithful friends and family members who would be continually praying for all of us, but especially Rachel, every second of her surgery. We heard from countless churches that were praying for Rachel...and our hearts were so overwhelmed with gratitude and love. Thank you for lifting all of us up in prayer and for taking time out of your busy schedules to meet with us at the feet of the Great Physician...who heard every request.

He answered so mightily! We believed Him for what seemed impossible and our Deliverer came and saved the day. The Great Physician was there and continues to be there.

Rachel is doing so well (I just re-read that last sentence and it seems so inadequate. My words pale in comparison to how well she is doing!) Let me try to explain. Do you remember the prayer requests for Rachel that I posted the day before her surgery? God answered each one:

*He guided the surgeon's hands perfectly-they did not have to open the Dura, the scar is minimal, and they didn't have to shave any of her hair
*there were absolutely no ill side effects from the anesthesia-she didn't get sick one time. In fact, less than 24 hours after her surgery, she was eating chicken, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese from Boston Market
*there were no complications during surgery (the surgeon said it was a "text book, ho-hum, surgery"-and this is brain surgery!!!!) She didn't even have to spend the night in ICU like we were told to expect. Hallelujah!
*there have been no spinal fluid leaks
*no infections (she has never run a fever)
*the God of all Peace completely surrounded all of us
*Rachel had faith and continues to have faith and full confidence in the One who knows her by name and takes great delight in her life
*His name has been and continues to be known in the process
*except for an issue with a swollen lip and a flimsy straw-she has not choked once since her surgery
*only the ones that God ordained to care for Rachel were allowed to take care of her (Dr Beal was not the anesthesiologist after all-it was Dr. Tapper)
*Hannah made it so well during her sister's surgery
*Terry and Kim (the nurses) fell in love with Rachel and absolutely took amazing care of her along with so many others
*we all felt God's presence in every room and Rachel knew she was in the palm of His mighty hand
*as for the headaches...we are still waiting. Rachel does not believe that she is having headaches she thinks the pain is coming from her muscles that were cut during surgery, and her neck...but since the area of her head where the surgery took place is in the exact area of her headaches, we are still waiting to see. We believe that He has healed her from her headaches and we are looking forward to the day when she knows that she is free from the daily migraine/chiari headaches. Speaking of pain, she is not on prescription pain medicine! She is taking regular Motrin or Tylenol for pain, and only when she feels that she needs it. Isn't that amazing?!!

There are so many other things that I want to share with you! I wish that I could brew you a big, hot, cup of strong Starbucks coffee, and you could join me in front of my laughing fire place and as we sit in the glow of the Christmas tree I could tell you about all of this face to face....there is so much that I want to share with you! But, I think I will close for tonight. I just wanted to give you a quick update (I have to laugh out loud-look at all I have typed) to let you know how great Rachel is doing. We are marveling at the goodness and the greatness of God. I will give you more details about all that God did for us and continues to do for us in tomorrow's post.

Thank you for your love and your support. You have been heavy on my heart and mind this week too. Although, I can never thank you enough, I am going to try. I will have 2 giveaways coming very soon. Both giveaways are very near and dear to my heart and I hope that they will be to yours too.

I'll try to post a picture of Rachel tomorrow too...so you too can see with your eyes the wonders and miracles that God did for her. Oh, praise You, Father for all you have done and continue to do. May You receive all the praise and all the glory for all that You have done!

10 comments:

Leaon Mary said...

I am marveling with you my Lieb, and had tears flow with you as I read your update tonight.

I'm so thankful that everything went so well and that dear Rachel is doing splendidly well.
THANK YOU FATHER GOD!
WE GIVE YOU ALL THE PRAISE AND GLORY.

Lana said...

Whohoo! What a precious testimony of God's faithfulness!!!

You are loved sweet Momma!

Blessings to you,
lana

sister sheri said...

God is good! My heart is beating faster just thinking of how precious you are to Him... and how precious Rachel is to Him... and Hannah... and how He went ahead and took care of every detail!

Ephesians 3:20-21
Now to him who is able
to do immeasurably more
than all we
ask or imagine,
according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

OH...I'm doing a HAPPY DANCE!! He is so wonderful and faithful!!

Friend...what an amazing Christmas miracle for you and your precious family. :-)

Betsy Smith said...

Praise the Lord. He is so Good! We will continue to pray and believe for 100% recovery and healing.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Anonymous said...

God is good indeed!!! I'm so so thankful that she has come out of this surgery so well! You are so blessed =) I continue to look forward to your updates....

Melanie said...

I'm praising the Lord right along with you this morning!!

I am just so thrilled to hear such a good report... sounds like all is well, spirits are high, and that is exactly what I prayed for over the last few weeks!

Can't wait to hear more and see a sweet picture of Rachel when you have a chance to post!

Amanda said...

I came to your blog from Kelly's Korner and my daughter, Abby Grace (2 at the time) also had decompression surgery for Chiari Malformation on July 27, 2009. I went back and read Rachel's Story and was absolutely in tears as I remembered all of the emotion that came with surgery day and leading up to. It was EXACTLY the way I felt. We too, got our miracle on surgery day and could not be more grateful. I am so happy that Rachel is doing well.

Amanda

Beth said...

I came to your blog also through Kelly's Korner. I have a now 6 year old son with Chiari. I can't wait to read through your blog and to get to 'know' you and your daughter better.

Jaunna said...

I just found your blog from Kelly's Korner. My daughter is 3 and a half and was diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation about a year and a half ago. She suffers from headaches that seem like what your daughter suffers (suffered?) from, only we do not know exactly how bad they are since its harder to communicate with a three year old :) Our neurosurgeon feels that surgery will not help the headaches and wants to wait until she is at least 7 to have the surgery, so I am anxious to read more of your blog to see if it did help your daughter. My daughter's body's reaction to the pain is to vomit, and it is absolutely heartbreaking to watch my child go through this (but you know this). Thanks for sharing your story and I am going to start reading! :)