I don't know about where you live, but goodness, gracious it is HOT in our part of Texas. You know it is going to be hot when you wake up in the morning and it is nearly 70 degrees already. I hear a cool front is on its way....we are looking forward to 98 degree temps instead of 108. Oiy!
Needless to say, we are doing our best to stay cool. I don't know what came over me, it must be the heat, but I actually got out my sewing machine....yes you read that correctly, I GOT OUT MY SEWING MACHINE...instead of my beloved glue gun. If you have read my blog for a while you know that I love my hot glue gun. Mr. Incredible has his real guns and I have my hot glue gun. I would rather hot glue than sew any day! But, this project needed a little sewing.
So, I took a few deep breaths and dragged out the sewing machine. Deep breaths...deap breaths....I think I can, I think I can. I even remembered how to thread the bobbin (I think that is the right wording). Woo-hoo! My goal was to transform a t-shirt into a halter-like top.
This is the t-shirt that I started with. It belongs to Hannah; we bought it on our trip to St. John, USVI last summer. The sleeves are a little long so she doesn't wear it very often:
Presto, chango-o, I grabbed some scissors and cut the sleeves off. Speaking of scissors, I don't have any good sewing scissors anymore. When I was a little girl I remember my mom protecting her "good" scissors from my all manner of craft projects....now I understand why:
Next, I cut across the top of the t-shirt. I just eyeballed the whole thing. Remember I am not a seamstress....I am queen of the glue gun:
I then folded down the rough edge of the top of the front of the shirt about an inch, I think, and carefully tried to sew a straight stich from one side to the next. I did the same thing on the back of the shirt. Surprisingly, it looked okay:
I rummaged through my craft closet and found some cute black with white polka dot ribbon which would be perfect for Hannh's new shirt. I cut off about 3 feet, give or take ten inches~ha! and then attached a safety pin to one end and began threading it through.
And here is what the new t-shirt looks like now:
Hannah loves the new look and so do I. The back of the shirt looks just like the front-I didn't want it to be a true halter top. I liked it so much that I fixed up one of my old Baylor t-shirts and one of Rachel's t-shirts too~she is at work, so won't she be surprised when she comes home (no, I didn't cut up one of her favorites). I think the whole process took only 30 minutes and the best part is that it was all free. Hello sewing machine....it's nice to see you again!