Photobucket
Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" />" />

Welcome

Welcome to my little corner of the world. I am so honored by your visit today. My name is Kristi and I am married to my college sweetheart(I refer to him here as "Mr. Incredible"), momma to my 2 beautiful girls who are growing much too quickly, a high school computer teacher, photographer, and a gardener (at times~right now I'm growing weeds). I love to laugh, drink strong Starbucks coffee, take pictures, and be anywhere my family is. Jesus is my Savior and I try so hard to be the wife and momma that He has called me to be. I often fail but He lovingly picks me up, dusts me off, and encourages me that with Him all things are possible. Feel free to join me on this journey of faith, stop in and say hello, look around, and leave a comment~I love comments. Why "Kiki's Corner?" My nephews call me Aunt Kiki and I love that too.

Where is Your Focus?

I read an article in USA Today over the Christmas break that talked about a woman who had lost her job a year ago and was living off of unemployment.  Unfortunately, in this day and age that is not unusual.  The part of the article that suck with me most was discovering that this woman was making more money a month living off of unemployment than I make in a month teaching school.  I have to admit that the article made me angry and left me flabbergasted.  I couldn't believe it!

Am I complaining about my salary?  Absolutely not!  I am so thankful to be a teacher.  I adore my students, even my "blessing students," and feel extremely blessed to be doing what I love to do.  But, the fact that this woman makes more money a month doing nothing just proves to me how flawed the system is. 

So as I wrestled with my thoughts about this article this past Tuesday morning, one of my beautiful, smiling, happy, beautiful-on-the-inside-and-outside students came to class first period looking quite distraught.  I asked her what was wrong and she told me that their house had been robbed Monday afternoon.  The intruders took all of their new Christmas presents, their televisions, cameras,  all of the money that she had earned over the Christmas break, and event the new sheets and comforter off of their bed.... and her family was devastated. 

And my heart ached for her.  But, I wasn't alone.  The news quickly spread throughout the high school.  It wasn't long before I received an email explaining what had happened and that our campus would be secretly taking up money to give to the family.

On Friday afternoon, I received another email.  This email explained that our small campus, along with the help from some members from the community and a youth group collected $1155 for the family in 3 days!  Wow!  And my heart rejoiced.   I can't imagine all that the kindness and generosity from friends and faculty meant to that family but I know that it made a difference!

Romans 12:9-13 says,"Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality."

I love that!  What a blessing to work with God's people who are "ready to help and always eager to practice hospitality!"  That is worth far more than anything money can buy! The Lord faithfully reminded me that no matter where I sit or stand, my future is in His hands...and I can think of no other place that I would rather be. Held in His very hands...what a humbling yet thrilling thought.

And if I am living in the palm of His very hands, then my focus needs to be on Him and not on all of the yuck. Yes, I can hate what is wrong but continue to hold on to what is good.  And I'd rather focus on the good any day.  Where is your focus? Where is my focus?  And once again, our hearts cry, "Come!  Lord, Jesus, come!" 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what? Just the other day I was talking to a friend who told me her mother's salary as a teacher. I was thinking, these men and women who give up their knowledge to teach the future leaders of the world, the lawyers of the world, the doctors of the world. What frustrates me is that we count on teachers to be there and mold these children into great beings and yet it would seem as if their knowledge were nothing to us as a society. Ugh! I could go on forever about this. I also wanted to tell you I have a coworker whose house was robbed 3 days before Christmas and all the presents she had wrapped for her grandchildren were unwrapped and taken, AND all her husbands heart medication. I don't understand how anyone can do such an awful thing. However there was a collection here at work for her too!