Photobucket
Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" />" />

Welcome

Welcome to my little corner of the world. I am so honored by your visit today. My name is Kristi and I am married to my college sweetheart(I refer to him here as "Mr. Incredible"), momma to my 2 beautiful girls who are growing much too quickly, a high school computer teacher, photographer, and a gardener (at times~right now I'm growing weeds). I love to laugh, drink strong Starbucks coffee, take pictures, and be anywhere my family is. Jesus is my Savior and I try so hard to be the wife and momma that He has called me to be. I often fail but He lovingly picks me up, dusts me off, and encourages me that with Him all things are possible. Feel free to join me on this journey of faith, stop in and say hello, look around, and leave a comment~I love comments. Why "Kiki's Corner?" My nephews call me Aunt Kiki and I love that too.

Please Help Me Pick A Paint Color Before I Lose My Ever Loving Mind!

ASPTL


Today is DIY day at Kimba's A Soft Place to Land. Many extremely wonderful and creative bloggers will post their finished projects. Been there done that, last week. This week I am pleading with all of you to help me make a decision so that I can finish this project. Please??? Pretty please, with sugar on top?



We were blessed to build our home in 2000. I can't believe that this December it will be 9 years since we moved in, the week before Christmas, I might add. Did we have a tree that year? Oh, yes we did and stockings and presents and guests. We may not have had a dining room table, but we had a Christmas tree.



Anyway, I'll try to get to the point of this post. Our trim needs to be repainted and Mr. Incredible suggested that we change it up a bit? Say what??? Who is the decorator around here? But, I got to looking at the house and....should I admit this....oh, alright, Mr. Incredible is right. But, I need your help before I take the giant leap into a new trim color and a new color for my front door.



The painters are ready to go. In fact, they would really appreciate it if the projects were finished yesterday. I'm not kidding! It was pouring down rain today and they wanted to come paint. That might be a problem for 2 reasons, it's wet and I haven't decided yet!


Okay, here are a few pictures of our house now:










Please, pardon the mulch that is ready to mulch my front flower beds.




You can see we have white trim, white grout, and a fabulous white door.


I love the austin stone accents so I was thinking about a taupe colored trim with a black door.




I quickly did a photoshoppy thing to get an idea, because I'm a little afraid to go nuts and just hope that it looks good. You know what I mean?




Anyway, before photoshop:




And after:

I did this very quickly...can you tell? Ha! I'm not planning to paint over the window parts of my door and sidelights, this was just the quickest way to get an idea of what it might look like. I think that I like the door and the lanterns in black. It would be so safe to go with good old white again, but I'm feeling a bit more daring and I really like how the black-ish bricks seem to pop with a black door. I always like to have a wreath on my front door; I think each season's wreath would look great against a black door.



After reading my comments, early this morning, I added a few more to choose from.


At Kimba's suggestion (thank you) I tried a shiny red door:






Charcoal was suggested by another blogger:



And here is the black without painting the lanterns:



A little brown? I don't know:

And here is a suggestion from Rhoda (I adore her Southern Hospitality blog):




So, which one do you like??? Should I paint my pots black too?
Do you have any other suggestions?
Red is my favorite color and I've debated a red door for years, but I'm afraid that it clashes with my brick. In my opinion, the only red color that looks sort of decent is an Texas Aggie shade and since we are Baylor bears, we won't go there! (But, after Kimba's suggestion, what do you think?) Please, give me your honest opinion about the trim color and the door. Tell me what you like and I'll love you forever!


Joyfully,


Kristi







33 comments:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

You have a lovely home. My first thought when I saw your picture, before I read your ideas, was that you should go darker with the door. So I think you are on the right track with the black. If you don't want it to be too stark you could try a dark charcoal or something. A few more black pots and things might help bring it together, but I think it's ok for it to be a bit mismatched. You might be able to bring some red into your accessories, since it won't work the best on the door.

We just painted our front door, and I love it. Good luck! Can't wait to see the after pics.

Unknown said...

I have no suggestions, because I love your house as is! Although the black door looks nice. We moved into our house on Thanksgiving, and almost immediately I got the lights on the house. Before most boxes were unpacked. My neighbors couldn't believe it.

Sheryl

Melanie said...

I really like the colors you chose in the photoshopped picture! I say do it!

Kimba said...

I think the black looks great! And you're right, whatever wreath you put on the front will really pop against a black door. My brick is similar to yours and I love my black door.

I know what you mean about being concerned about red clashing with the brick. I have seen bright red doors with that color brick though and I think they look good. Have you tried it with your photoshoppy thing to see what it would look like?

Let me know what you decide.
Kimba

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Kristi, you have a beautiful entry way. What about painting just the door black?? I have sidelights like you and just my door is painted black & the sidelights are the trim color. Maybe Photoshop just the door & see how that looks to you. I love black doors!

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

I like the darker ones - though on my moniter the 'black' ones look dark chocolate brown which looks mighty fine too - it might look like a wood door from the curb - a nice natural-looking accent to the natural brick:
as for the lanterns I saw this link

http://apennysavedforarainyday.blogspot.com/2009/06/brass-to-oil-rubbed-bronze-2-ways.html?showComment=1247971850035#c8448710152469767745

and am planning on using that method turning my brassy ones to an aged bronze like she did - can't wait to see your after

Shannan Martin said...

I like the charcoal best! I like the black, but the charcoal might look a little more unique and timeless. Everyone's in such a black phase right now - charcoal seems extra stylish to me!

sarah said...

I like the last picture the best, but ALL of them look beautiful!
You have a gorgeous home!

Tammy said...

Lovely house and yes stay away from Aggie color - hook"em.
But I like the idea of taupe trim but have you thought of maybe putting some really grab your attention to your door color?
Brick homes have so much going on in texture and color in the brick that sometimes the door gets lost. I like the idea of black but I was thinking why not a lime green?
It would go well with the plantings and be a nice attention grabber..being that it is only the door - if you don't like it it could be changed. I just think there is so much brick and it is a large house that a bold color would be awesome on the door.
~tammy

Rhonda said...

Hi Kiki
our home is the same age as yours. Our front door is burgundy but I really want to paint it black.
I vote for black or black-ish charcaol.

Don't do yellow - our neighbor did their door a very bright almost safety-paint yellow and it is awful!

Gwen said...

I think that you are on the right track with the black door. To me the red clashes and then there is that whole Baylor thing:)

Adding pops of complimentary black, like on your pots and the lighting will tie it together well.

The charcoal is pretty, but it just sort of fades into the background. You have such a beautiful entry, why not make it sing with the black.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I like the black doors and sidelights and lanterns.
You have a beautiful home!

Anonymous said...

I like your first modification, the black door with the black lights. Painting a few of the pots black would be a great way to tie the color in, but I also think they look pretty the way they are.
Can't wait to see what you decide!

Kerri said...

I like the black door. I think you would have to paint the lights black as well as most of the planters. Also adding a Welcome vinyl or the numbers of your home like Just a Girl did to the door would add a little. I can't wait to see what you decide. Oh, taupe accents sound nice as well. Your house is beautiful!

randee said...

love your family photo & love your house.

i really like the beige but after seeing the beige & black, i think i like it the best. don't we make ourselves crazy making these decisions?!?

thanks so much for visiting me. burlap is messy, messy, messy but so easy to work with. & will look so very "green" in your classroom.

randee

Michelle said...

I'd go black on the door and anything else you can get your hands on! I love black as an accent color. I have a taupe house and red door, but I painted my outside light fixture, address numbers, plant stands, etc, black.

I think it looks very tasteful and elegant.

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

We love the black door and lanterns and we will definitely keep the white trim...Classy!!!

Carrie said...

I love the black...without the lights painted black. It might have just been because it was photoshop. I also think the charcoal looks really good. It seems to match the darker pieces of brick you have.

Oh...and I LOVE your house! What an amazing blessing!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful home. It would be so fun to work with such a lovely exterior.

I'd like to see a very dark teal color, green to blue. Very dark and shiny, with black pots and some yellow flowers.

It's so great you can try it on a picture first. Very smart!

Julia said...

I love the taupe/black idea, but the way Rhoda suggested it with taupe on the side of the black door. And yes, the pots and lanterns being black would really accent everything. If you go with a red door - I'd say black trim. But I like the black - it's very elegant.

Betsy Smith said...

Definitely black door and black pots!! I love the contrast!!!!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

It is pretty like it is - but we all need a little change every now and then. Dark brown is my pick for the door - with the pots a punch of color - maybe a periwinkle or pea green or deep reddish. However, I see everyone else said "black" and that was my second choice.

A Home in Progress said...

I agree with those who suggested black for the door and the lanterns - but I'm a girl who loves the color black, so take that for what it's worth! Thanks for visiting my blog from Kimba's - it's literally JUST getting started and your comments were just as sweet as can be!

Blue Creek Home said...

Hi Kristi,
Thank you so much for visiting me!
Your house is lovely.
Here is my humble opinion...
I like a taupe-ish paint for the trim, just make sure it looks good with the roof tiles.
I think the best door look is- all black ( door and sidelights)
I think the light fixtures look good black also
I think the pots look fine either way
Can't wait to see the finished pics.
Rhonda

Delightful Dwelling said...

I love the black door and black laterns. The dark charcoal door is nice too. I like the sidelights and door the same color. I recently painted my door and trim too if you want to peek at my blog. I went with a red door. I also painted my lights black.

Erica said...

I totally agree with you about the red...it clashes with your brick. This is the sort of thing my dad does professionally...what do your painters think?
I like the dark door, pull from the dark brick color for the door and the taupe brick color for the trim.
I also like the dark door, maybe charcoal, with a few shades lighter for the side lights.

abeachcottage said...

well first, your home is fabulous, lucky you...

now I like the black with the black lanterns, isn't photoshop great?! in fact I said to hubby the other day when we were out on a walk that I fancied painting the front door black - it is white now and now I've seen your pics I'm like oooh yeah I soooo want to do it!

yet another project to put on the burner!

happy painting

Sarah

Unknown said...

Hi Kristi,

I like either the black or charcoal door. I also like what Rhoda suggested. Good luck deciding! BTW, you and your daughters look like sisters! Have a great night...

Nancy

Nicole A. said...

I definately love the black, the black with black pots and lights! I think the red is great too though, lol! Good luck and your house is gorgeous!

Missie said...

My choice would be to go with Rhoda's suggestion and then paint the lights and other accessories black. I think it is too dark with the sidelights trimmed in black also, and the door does not pop. Something to consider-- the black may fade if your home faces west.

Fifi Flowers said...

You have a LOVELY home!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Hi Kristi,

If it's not too late to vote, I vote for a black door, black sidelights, black light fixtures, and black pots. To me, black & brick is just a classic color combination. In the before pic, I didn't even see the light fixtures at first because they blended right into the mortar (from afar). Black would make them pop! And since this is a classic combo, it's still "safe". Just my two cents.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I like Rhoda's suggestion, plus painting your pots black. :) I am very late in responding, but I wanted to thank you for stopping by! :)