Photobucket
Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" /> Photobucket" />" />

Welcome

Welcome to my little corner of the world. I am so honored by your visit today. My name is Kristi and I am married to my college sweetheart(I refer to him here as "Mr. Incredible"), momma to my 2 beautiful girls who are growing much too quickly, a high school computer teacher, photographer, and a gardener (at times~right now I'm growing weeds). I love to laugh, drink strong Starbucks coffee, take pictures, and be anywhere my family is. Jesus is my Savior and I try so hard to be the wife and momma that He has called me to be. I often fail but He lovingly picks me up, dusts me off, and encourages me that with Him all things are possible. Feel free to join me on this journey of faith, stop in and say hello, look around, and leave a comment~I love comments. Why "Kiki's Corner?" My nephews call me Aunt Kiki and I love that too.

NYC: Lady Liberty and Me!

I have wanted to see the Statue of Liberty since I was a little girl. I can still remember my neighbor talking about her trip to New York and in that instant, I made a mental note that one day I too would see Lady Liberty with my own eyes. And I did!

We made the trip from Manhattan to New Jersey were we would catch the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  While we waited for the ferry office to open, we saw this 9/11 Memorial.


And a beautiful view of Manhattan.

We eagerly boarded this ferry:


I thought the ferry station was so pretty:


I bravely placed my BGC (big girl camera) on a nearby trashcan, pushed the timer, and ran back for a group picture....it only took us three tries. Oiy!  And again, with the wind and my hair. Oh dear! 


A short ferry ride and we were there.  I could be a puddle on the floor just remembering this wonderful day!


While we waited to get off the ferry, this little bird came and sat by me.  Instantly, I remembered, that His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.  And that we are worth more than the sparrows...He cares about every detail. 


I was crying....okay sobbing at this point at the thought of my family members making their way to America. 

What a beautiful site!






I cried again when I saw these worn benches....benches where family members waited for their names to be called.

So much history in this place!  I had traced my family history and had already found two signatures from my great-grandparents who signed in at this very place.  What a gift freedom is!

Even more so, what a precious gift our Spiritual freedom is for all who will receive it!!!



and then it was time to see Lady Liberty!


What a blessing to be able to see her with my own eyes! That day I posted this on facebook, "I am overwhelmed and filled with gratitude for the blessing of walking where my great-grandparents walked when they entered the United States from Germany and the Ukraine so many years ago. Thanking God for the freedom we are blessed with in the United States of America, but greater still, our freedom in Christ Jesus! God is so good!!!



Whew! What a day to remember!I could have gone home right then...but we were hungry. Go figure!  So we hopped in a car and headed to Gray's Papaya for....wait for it....I can't believe I am going to type this.....seriously.....hot dogs!  UGH!  We didn't go for the hot dogs, let me clarify, we went because this place has been in movies like "Fools Rush In," and "You've Got Mail."

Hot dogs just happened to be on the menu.  I sound like a hot dog snob and I guess that I am.  There is just something about mystery meat, that turns my stomach. They smothered my hot dogs with sauerkraut and I was good to go!


Then we made our way to Serendipity for dessert! Yes!



To our delight they seated us right away.  We all ordered frozen hot chocolate.  It was better than I hoped for.  Yes! They sell packets of this delightful goodness so I took a few packets of the mixture home to my girls.  They enjoyed it too!



And then we shopped a little, ate dinner at a manly steak house (Peter Luger's) where the waiter takes your order, decides if that is what you really want, and then brings you what he knows you will like.  And he was right.  But, I've never seen so much steak in my life...and I've never seen grown men lick the bones quite like they did that night either....I'm just saying.  And sorry, I don't have pictures for that! Ha!

The next morning, we boarded our plane and headed back to Texas. Great food, fun, and company. What a trip!


1 comment:

bp said...

I've enjoyed your NYC tales and pictures! Looks like a wonderful trip and you packed in a lot on the days you were there. What fun memories!

I went to NYC two times in high school with my choir. We sang in Carnegie Hall. I'd love to go back someday.